[hist-analytic] On Steve's Comments on my Ch 2, part 2

Baynesr at comcast.net Baynesr at comcast.net
Sun Oct 25 09:35:34 EDT 2009

Bruce has offered a number of compelling remarks. What I'm going to do is reply to them after I finish all my comments. If I digress to answer each point of disagreement, then I will probably never finish the book, itself.

One problem with his using pdf is that I can't quote from it very easily. Still there are numerous areas where I need to comment. Sometimes Bruce seems to suggest that I am in a state of complete ignorance and bewilderment over Kripke.. For example he says "Steve wonders why a certain designator (i.e. a certain description) whould designate the same thing in all possible worlds." Then he goes on to give an account that simply does not answer the question! Kripke, himself , gives an answer which in no way, even remotely resembles Bruce's. In fact, Bruce doesn't appear to be address this question, but I can't really tell. If you've read Kripke, you KNOW what the answer to the question is. Here are Kripke's own words:

"My main remark, then, is that we have a DIRECT INTUITION of the rigidity of names..." (NN. p. 13).

Now Bruce has been very hard on the concept of inuition, but Kripke relies on it everywhere. Take another example:

"Of course some philosphers think that something's having intuitive content is very inconclusiver evidence in favor of it. I think it is very heavy evidence in favor of anything myself." (NN p. 42).

So Bruce never does give a clear answer to the question: "What evidence or reason do I have for believing that a name is a rigid designator?" Kripke's answer is intuition. If there is a better example IN THE TEXT, then I'd like to see it. One other point.

Bruce and I differ wildly, I think, in our general orientation. My belief is that much analytical philosophy for the most part over the last twenty years or so is not wortth reading. Instead we should be reading better philosophy we have forgotten about in favor of a hand full of half understood puzzles that have no bearing on the major themes as understood in the history of philosophy. Kripke doesn't "have a clue" as to what Kant said or meant, on most major issues. This is not to slight his work. But it is symptomatic of "troubled times." The fact that today in analytical philosophy "we" mean such and such simply won't cut it. You can't get away with reading the rubbish in the current journals. Clearly there is some very good stuff, but the trend is obvious. So we differ on Kant. I know of no philosopher who brought so many concepts together. Kripke's work is replete with references to "intuition." Now maybe we mean something else by that term these days, but life is short and I'll stick with Kant. He has not been refuted on virtually any issue in my opinion. As I go through Bruce's invigorating work, keep in mind that I will be viewing it as if I were a strict Kantian. (As strict as possible).

I'm preparing a large body of work to be put on Hist-Analytic. Also, I am htmling a new front page. Also, I have a lot of comments on the rest of Bruce's chapter. I'll have it out in a few days, unless I read the paper Putnam wrote on colors. I was never happy with this paper, although it is quite good, and I'm thinking about rereading it, but this might cause delay. So I probably won't.

Regards

STeve