[hist-analytic] Aune and the meter stick

Bruce Aune aune1 at verizon.net
Wed Oct 28 08:12:12 EDT 2009

Roger says, "So you think there are propositions which are analytic
but contingent. In this you disagree not only with me, but also with
Carnap and Kripke!"

I do disagree, I think, with Carnap, who, so far as I know, did not
consider the meter stick example, but I disagree with Kripke only
verbally.  Kripke said (somewhere in "N of N") that he restricts
analytic truths to those known a priori, but he indicated that this is
an arbitrary restriction that he would not insist upon. I think of
analytic truths pretty much as Carnap did, but unlike him (so far as I
know) I have thought about the novel case of the meter stick, which
Kripke was the first to think of. I am confident that if Carnap
thought of it, he would agree.  His loyal student David Kaplan has
never (to my nowledge) expressed any doubt about it.

Bruce