[hist-analytic] One Brief Addendum Discussion of Aune's ETK, Chapter Two: Modus Ponens/Tollens

Baynesr at comcast.net Baynesr at comcast.net
Fri Oct 30 13:09:54 EDT 2009

Just a brief point on Danny's last point. First, I'm glad he made his argument explicit.

Bruce may have a reply. He may simply deny that Davidsonian event variables are

admissable. I reject them, myself, but I can't go into all that myself. Two points,

Bruce can, simply, come up with a case where event variables will not suffice to

derive a contradiction. Take my example:

1  If he knows, he’s not telling
2. He’s telling
3. Therefore, he does not know.

If (1) is a conditional then this form calls MT into as much question as the example

provided. But you cannot, using Davidson's sleight of hand, derive a contradiction.

Now you might just accept this but I think that would be very strange. Again, we

are dealing with concessive clauses which I think are very much like the example

given. So far no reply to my argument, per se.