[hist-analytic] One Brief Addendum Discussion of Aune's ETK, Chapter Two: Modus Ponens/Tollens

Bruce Aune aune at philos.umass.edu
Fri Oct 30 17:13:44 EDT 2009

I agree with most of what Danny says in his last two memos to Steve; I
disagree only with some of his skeptical claims.  As I ague in my
third chapter, I think standard logic can be "saved" by making
suitable restrictions on what we allow as "proper substituends" for
the schematic letters in our Logical laws and inference patterns.  Of
course, making such restrictions raises problems elsewhere.  We have
to find acceptable ways of handing the formulas (sentences) that we
have excluded.  New systems may be neeed.

Bruce