[hist-analytic] Steve on Concessives

Bruce Aune aune at philos.umass.edu
Fri Oct 30 17:46:43 EDT 2009

This is just to express my opinion that Steve might be right about
concessives.  I am not convinced by his arguments that "If it rains,
it rains hard" is not a conditional, but some "if"s might not
introduce genuine conditionals.  I introduced some nonstandard claims
about certain "if"s in a paper on "If"s that appeared years ago in the
first edition of the Encyclopedia of Philosophy.  Things I say there
might interest J.L. if he takes a look at the article.  My memory of
what I said there is a bit dim, though.

Bruce