[hist-analytic] The Two Color Problem, Putnam, and the Synthetic A Priori

Baynesr at comcast.net Baynesr at comcast.net
Wed Nov 4 07:13:27 EST 2009

Bruce,

I haven't presented my argument yet. The business about determinate colors

is a good approach. Putnam has a correlative manuever. Your argument is

somewhat different but if I am right then it falls prey to similar criticisms. Among

them is reliance on some notion of determinate color. I don't believe you have

given an account of what a determinate color is. Putnam understands that this

is very important for the case. I will explain why as I go through the Putnam,

comparing his approach to yours.

Now I don't believe that the anatomy of the eye will provide any basis for

solving philosophical problems. This may reflect a "metaphilosophical" difference

between us. I don't know how signficant that will become. However, if a problem's

solution is to be found to be solvable by medicine, then the malady was not

philosophical to begin with, unless of course philosophy is a sort of disease

requiring "therapy," a position that I will simply pass over in silence. A philosophical

point unrelated to anatomy can be made here.

I can't imagine an object with two colors at the same time all over etc. Now the

physiological approach to philosophy will now have to be extended to cover

memory, the imagination as a neural process, etc.  However, since I doubt the

existence of matter and reject physicalism doing this weakens the case. No, until

you can show that it is analytic that an object (mental or physical) cannot be

two colors all over, then you have done nothing to dispose of the synthetic

a priori or intuition. I will say this much about this approach: it does raise questions

about the nature of secondary properties. Are they merely mental? But if there is

just the brain etc, they are no different than other physical properties. It may be

that the synthetic a priori is tied to this issue. I do find one strength in your

position Putnam's lacks.

Putnam has to with colors. Indeed, the problem you seem comfortable ignoring,

the problem of defining 'determinate shades', requires, even by his own lights,

the notion of a continuum. So Putnam says:

"The point I am leading up to by the way is very simple: the color properties are

not isolated ; the form a system (or better a continuum)." ("Reds, Greens, and

Logical Analysis" _Necessary Truth_ edited by L. M. Sumner and J. Woods,

p. 73.

The problem is this: The approach will not address the question: why can't two

things have the same shape at the same time? Notice there is no "all over" to

contend with.

By the way, even if the anatomy of the eye ruled out seeing a two colored object,

this does nothing to dispose of the question: "CAN an object be two colors at once

etc.?" The powers of the eye are not so important, nor the brain. Were the brain

different we could experience infrared but so what? Esse est percipi may enter at

some point; that is another issue.

As for not understanding you: well maybe not. I apologize. However, I do think there

are weaknesses or at least questions regarding your argument, in particular

with 'determinate color' and how this ties in to your brief footnote. Whatever the

case may be Putnam is VERY thorough in stating his reasoning towards your

conclusion. Let me get to that soon and, perhaps, show where both your position

and his may be in doubt.

Regards

STeve