[hist-analytic] "Red and Green All Over" (Was: Synthetic A Priori, Grice's Informants

Baynesr at comcast.net Baynesr at comcast.net
Wed Nov 4 09:38:28 EST 2009

I think Grice was closest to being right about meaning in natural language than anyone

else. Nothing here on neurology etc. His work on personal identity AND perception

distinguishes him signficantly from people like J. L. Austin. I have a great respect for

Austin's work How to Do Things With Words. It is a superb analysis, but it is more

linguistics than philosophy in my opinion.

As for physics. I side with Carnap in one respect (as well as others, like Schlick,

Reichenbach etc): the most important questions of epistemology will come down

to those related to science. This is not to say that I don't maintain a need to get

a good theory of perception going. Science trades in laws, for the most part;

perception with individual events connected to action. That is the crucial nexus

that will not be found in the "nomological net."

My "beef" with a lot of folks who fall back on current physical theory is that current

physical theory is, typically, as wrong as current philosophy and it's application to

philosophy tends to cheapen philosophical questions by reformulating them in

such a way that philosophy becomes a simple matter. If you think the problems of

philosophy are scientific, then for heaven's sake do science not philosophy. But once

you go at these traditional problems head-on I think you find current science is

a very flexible crutch, serving to prop up easy solutions to problems that no one

really thinks are problems in the first place. That is my bias; but, again, the

epistemology of the scientific enterprise is at the heart of my own epistemology.

Physical theories about physical events are not so much my concern. I leave them

to the experts in science. I am not a "wanna-be" scientist stuck in philosophy.

Sometimes I get this impression from J. J. Smart; not sure.

Regards

STeve