[hist-analytic] Hot Potatoes

Baynesr at comcast.net Baynesr at comcast.net
Thu Nov 5 16:16:31 EST 2009

J. L.

The problem, here, is with 'heat' not 'hot'. There is a critical difference:

'hot' is a comparative adjective in the positive degree; 'heat' is a

simple ajdective. However, unlike most people, I extend the concept

of common adjectives into he domain of comparatives. This has to

do with the seldom noticed difference between ordinary adjectives

and comparatives in the positive degree. Anyone interested might

want to check out my note: "A Note on Covering Concepts, Comparatives

and Relative Identity."

http://www.hist-analytic.org/COVERINGCONCEPTS.htm

I like your comment though on what I'll call "French Semantics." Let's

have a standard balloon filled with standard 'hot air'! Call it the

'the standard bag of hot air in Paris'.

No offense to the French intended. In fact the reply I'm making to Aune

and Putnam is build, largely, on that great genius of about everything

Henri Poincare! The most often "borrowed" from Frenchman by

English speakers in philosophy ever.

Regards

STeve