[hist-analytic] Qualia: A Gricean Account

Baynesr at comcast.net Baynesr at comcast.net
Sun Nov 8 17:26:46 EST 2009

J.L

You raise good points. I can't respond to all of them; so, let me just

lay out a couple of things in a way that does, but may not appear

to, cohere with your methodology, here.

There is a very interesting point made by Eddington (I don't have

the reference right at hand but it was in The Nature of the Physical

World. Do your recall the fuss about elliptical pennies and round

pennies? If you do, much of what you will recall is related to this

distinction between sense data and the objects that are supposedly

constructed from them. We look at a penny and what we "actually"

apprehend is an ellipse. If someone asks what I see I may say:

"I see a round penny." However, some will maintain that this is an

inference and that that with which I am immediately acquainted is

elliptical. Others will say I'm not aware of any *thing* elliptical; I am

merely experiencing elliptically, or some such adverbization. My own

bias opinion is that this approach is pretty bad. I am seeing something

in some sense of 'see' that is, definitely, elliptical and no linguistic

consideration will convince me that I am not cognitively aware of this

shape. Now what is interesting is what Eddington says.

He suggests that the description of a penny as an ellipse is taken

from a perspective, a subjective perspective from a single point,

more or less. But the description of the penny as round is not

perspectival; it is taken from all perspectives other than where the

penny is at, presumably. This is how I recall it but his description is

much more brief and maybe not as detailed. The point is that

the 'seeming' is in some sense subjective. Now this relates to some

of what you say in the following way. The sense of 'seem' which is a

"hedge" (like the 'believe' in 'I believe it, but I might be wrong') comes

out of this perspectival description; it is what is subjective. Now we

ask: What is subjective about color, if anything? But let's not go into

that here. However, ask yourself the question: Why don't I say

"round all over" whereas I do say "red all over"?

Nothing as a whole is partly round, but a whole can be partly red. Can

a thing be red "partly" in two senses of 'partly'? That is, if a thing were

to be both red and blue all over would it be "partly" red? Saying that

something is red and blue all over certainly does not have the feel of

"This ball is round all over." But can we exclude both if we were to

speak of the conditions for an empirical object in general? I think we can;

and by doing so, explain not only linguistic puzzles but rule out things

like being two colors at once or two shapes at once or round all over or

both square and round all over without adding a postulate for each

exclusion. The concept of an object in general is, however, not a set

of postulates licensing analytic propositions.

Finally, 'hot' is semantically and, maybe, morphologically related to 'heat'.

Notice that the comparative 'hotter' and 'colder' cannot be distinguished

in terms of temperature. The comparative in the postive degree enters

in determining that from 'x is hotter than y' that y is hot, but from 'x is

warmer than y' we don't get 'y is warm'. This is subtle difference; i suspect

it obtains only in a number of idiolects; it does mine.