[hist-analytic] Kripke on the A priori and A posteriori

Baynesr at comcast.net Baynesr at comcast.net
Wed Nov 11 07:21:07 EST 2009

There are two things Kripke might say. The first thing he would say is that you

are attributing views to him he doesn't hold, and that you need to be more

specific as to where he has said what you think he believes, otherwise we

fall into impressionism. But there is another point you make, one that

in a somewhat different form was made earlier by Gareth Evans. I'm not sure

that they are the same point, but they are in the same spirit.

Evans claims - and I think he is right, although I'm not sure of what conclusions

we can draw - that Kripke's notion of rigid designation is "relativized" to an

individual, whereas on Evans's view it is not; that is, it is tied to a public language.

("Reference and Contingency" in Collected Works, Oxford, 1985. p. 182-83).

Now this, I think, is crucial in dealing with some issues, such as the private

language controversy, but it doesn't arise in Kripke's book on the private language

problem.