[hist-analytic] In Defense of a Third Dogma

Baynesr at comcast.net Baynesr at comcast.net
Thu Nov 12 07:25:42 EST 2009

There is a very good exchange between Rawls and Habermas. Rawl's lengthy

reply is very instructive. Habermas has a good grasp of the big picture; a little

less understanding of the details; still, he is very good at what he does, or did (?).

I won't comment just now on much of what you said since it concerns "Two Dogmas"

and we will no doubt get to that as we continue; once, that is, I get past this business

of two colors. I'm dwelling on it a bit because it brings together different ways of

doing philosophy in viewing a single problem. Often these problems are "theory

internal." These are usually problems that in the big picture require a high aptitude

but seldom result in significant insights with respect to the larger problems of

"general philosophy." One example might be free logics. I might be taking a closer

look at this, but diddling with free logics, to me, is like fiddling while Rome burns.

Nevertheless, if I had a hundred years more to live, I'd probably play around with this.

It's interesting and related to that meter stick in Paris stuff, as I'll note in a future

post.