[hist-analytic] OOPS

Danny Frederick danny.frederick at btinternet.com
Thu Nov 19 08:32:35 EST 2009

Hi Bruce/Steve,

I have a mountain of emails from hist-analytic that I have not looked at
yet, including one from Roger that is addressed to me. I will get around to
them eventually. But this little exchange caught my attention.

I am very familiar with Bruce's situation; in fact I have been so for years.
And, at least in my case (though I feel sure it is universal), it is not
just in fast-moving email exchanges that I find unaccountable errors
creeping in. I say 'unaccountable' because they are the sorts of errors that
should never have been made (presumably, like Bruce's 'and only' clause),
given that I knew full well it was an error when I made it, so it baffles me
how I came to make it. If it was only in fast-moving exchanges that this
happened, it would not be (so) baffling. But it happens even in carefully
composed and long-thought-over pieces that I have left alone for a while
precisely so that, when I return to them, I will be more likely to see the
silly mistakes - and I still don't! Actually, I usually spot them as soon as
I send off the piece of work to wherever it needs to go.

This is not just a philosophical thing. Until just over three years ago I
was an accountant, and I had this problem in connection with management
reports or proposals or complex spreadsheets. It seemed like a curse. There
was almost invariably some minor blemish that I somehow failed to see,
despite taking great care to get things right. A Cartesian demon sitting on
the shoulder is an apt metaphor! I think it tells us something about the
human condition.

Best wishes,

Danny

  _____