[hist-analytic] Toulmin, Hanson, and the Ethics of Disclosure

Baynesr at comcast.net Baynesr at comcast.net
Fri Dec 11 09:17:06 EST 2009

Thanks for bringing us the bad news, JL.

I met Toulmin a couple of times and spent what I considered

a great deal of time on one occasion discussing philosophy

and a number of other issues several years ago. He was, as

you may know, a subscriber to Hist-Analytic, and there are

remarks by him on remarks made by me on Wittgenstein

(as well as some insights by Dick Schmitt out of U. of Chicago).

At one point in our discussion, Toulmin confided in me certain

facts about his work in philosophy of science; in particular in

regard to Norwood Russell Hanson. Both philosophers had

a great deal to do with how history of science and philosophy

of science relate.

Being a small time journalist, in "another world," I asked if his

comments were for the record. He said only on condition that

Hanson's wife was no longer alive. I made numerous inquiries

and postings and could never make this determination with

any certainty. Given the lapse of time, I believe she is no longer

alive. Moreover, the death of Toulmin, himself, alters the moral

equation, somewhat. So I'm tinkering with the idea of repeating

what he said in connection with Hanson. If there are other

sources on this, I'd like to know. I DO know that Toulmin was

working on memoirs. If anyone knows anything about the status

of this work, please let me know.

I commented at a meeting on Toulmin's philosophy of science,

years ago. He was prepared and wrote up a rather detailed

set of notes on my comments and read them in reply to my

commentary. Some of this stuff was historically significant but

I never saw the copy and I forgot some of his points of clarification.

This had to do with Foresight and Understanding, I believe.

If anyone knows of archives that would be helpful.

I'll consider going public on the Hanson thing. In the meantime.

Regards

Steve Bayne