[hist-analytic] Toulmin and the Play Group

Jlsperanza at aol.com Jlsperanza at aol.com
Wed Dec 16 20:49:21 EST 2009

Thanks to S. Bayne for his comments. Excellent to KNOW that Toulmin
subscribed to Hist-Anal. I suppose his son, Greg, though of a state other than
California, will try and have the Toulmin papers (if he left any) safely
deposited in some uni. It would be interesting to know in which.

I have done some little more research about his associations with  Oxford's
play group (i.e. the Saturday morningers of Austin). Toulmin was
university lecturer in the philosophy of science from 1949 to 1954 -- but I  still
ignore which college he was associated with.

This was the heyday of "Oxford ordinary school philosophy" almost (as
Grice notes in "Prejudices and Predilections", in Grandy et al, "PGRICE"), so it
 is not surprising that there ARE some cross-references:

ON THE PART OF THE PLAYGROUP
The cross references seem  perhaps minimal. I have been able to trace
   -- Hare, R. M. Review of Toulmin, An examination of the place  of
          reason in ethics.  Philosophical Quarterly 1951.

          Note that this is an  early Hare. In fact, I unburied that
reference when Hare died, and I was  checking the list of his publications from
his Practical Inferences. I would  hope Hare's son deposited his
unpublications, if he left any, safely  somewhere

   -- Urmson, J. O. The province of logic: being a review
        of Toulmin, The uses of  argument. In Nature, 1958, pp. 213-
(doublecheck page number)
        available online if you  log-in. If a member to this can do that
and share pdf with us, nice

     (See Toulmin's refs. to Urmson below)

    -- Strawson, P. F. Review of Toulmin,
       The uses of argument. In The Listener,  the BBC weekly, 1958.

----

ON THE PART OF TOULMIN.

Apparently, Toulmin was more affiliated with the OTHER group popular or
influential at the time, led by Ryle. Ryle was possibly Toulmin's doktorvater
(if the term applies) while in Oxford (as Braithwaite had been in
Cambridge). Of  course, unofficial, since Toulmin had earned his DPhil already with
the  "Examination of the place of reason in ethics". Toulmin acknowledges
Ryle in  Uses of Argument and indeed shares a good anecdote: Otto Bird provided
a review  of Uses of Argument for _Mind_ due to Ryle (who edited it). In
that review Bird  connects Toulmin's enterprise with Aristotle's in Topica. I
have a friend who  dedicates her life to Topica so she should be pleased.
She dedicates her life to  book VIII, of the Topica, if you can believe that.
Graciella Chichi.

---

So, there are some references to Oxford philosophers who were not part of
the playgroup. Some I'm not sure, e.g. D. G. Brown.

-- But when it comes to playgroup members proper (the list I take from
Grice, op. cit. above) we have -- alphabetically:

    AUSTIN, J. L. Toulmin cites ONLY "Other Minds". This is  an interesting
essay by Austin which
      -- as it relates to Grice's A-philosophers  -- has been commented by
Roger B. Jones. Toulmin
      is concerned with 'qualifiers' to 'claims to  knowledge'. He is
having in view his model for
      argument, complete with claim, data,  warrant, backing, and rebuttal.
      Austin was alive then, but his early death  meant a stop to any
further cross-reference here.

    HARE, R. M. Toulmin deals extensively (or perhaps not so  extensively)
with Hare, Language
       of Morals. Oddly, he is not into what  Hare would later call
micropragmatic (the subatomic
       particles of logic: the clistic,  tropic, neustic and phrastic).
Instead Toulmin passes
       muster of the is-ought question as it  relates to practical
inferences, and how you cannot
       claim a value-judgement unless at  least one of the data is also a
value-judgement, etc.

    HART, H. L. A. Toulmin cites from the locus classicus by  Hart on the
ascription of responsibilities
       and rights. He is interested in the  ceteris-paribus defeasibility
of inferential patterns. He notes
       re: Hart something he possibly did not  like of critics reading his
own (Toulmin's work): the
       legalese. In the case of Hart, it can  be said that legalese (or
jurisprudential reasoning) was
       at the 'heart' of it, as he would  later become Prof. of
Jurisprudence at Oxford -- a fact that
       perhaps lost him to the narrow  philosophical community. (In
Argentina, it was the fashion
       of 'lawyers' to get a Brit Council  fellowship and earn a doctorate
under Hart, e.g. C. S. Nino).

    STRAWSON, P. F. Toulmin cites extensively from  "Introduction to
Logical Theory". I would assume
      that Strawson's review of Toulmin for the  Listener SHOULD have
concentrated on his criticisms of
      Strawson. Toulmin was particularly hurt, it  seems, that Strawson
only cared to 'roundly damn' the
      book. Toulmin's observations on various  aspects of Strawson's
programme merit a closer
      review.

     URMSON, J. O. Toulmin quotes various essays  by Urmson. Perhaps the
most important one,
      for which he does not care to give the exact  biblio reference is
"Two senses of 'probable'". This
      has an anti-Gricean ring to it (recall his  modified Ockham's razor,
'do not multiply senses
      beyond necessity'), and its treatment  occupies a whole section of
Toulmin's book ambiguously
      titled, "Is 'probably' ambiguous?". His  prose is so subtle that I
wasn't sure if he meant
      that it's not. I guess "'probable' NOT  ambiguous" would have made
for a better title of a
      section if that was his claim. As with  Strawson, Hart, and Austin,
Toulmin provides the
      full biblio references at the end of his  book. So, we see he is also
using Urmson's wonderful
      essay on "Validity" (where he pre-dates  Grice in some of the
conversational maxims, etc.).
      He also quotes from Urmson, "On grading". A  classic repr. along with
R. Hall, Excluders,
      in Chappel (as I recall).

There may be other cross-references I missed. In any case, this is the
Toulmin that, historically, interests me. He has a topical, "On describing",
co-authored with Baier, which was possibly very influential THEN. For some
reason, whatever interest he had in ways that overlapped with the
playgrouppers  evolved into something different. He was possibly of broader interests.
He  quotes extensively for example from Ryle's colleague, Kneale and his
work on  induction and probability. So he was perhaps less parochial than the
Saturday  morning as wickedly recollected by Warnock -- 'we were only
interested in what  the others of the group were thinking' (Saturday mornings, in
Berlin, Essays on  Austin). This is perhaps unfair on Grice, since he is seen
quoting a distant  author like Stevenson, or a not so distant one like
Witters -- and with a  straight face, too!

Cheers,

JL Speranza
   The Grice Club, etc.

----

S. Bayne writes:

---

Thanks for bringing us the bad news, JL.

I met Toulmin a couple of  times and spent what I considered a great deal
of time on one occasion  discussing philosophy and a number of other issues
several years ago. He was,  as
you may know, a subscriber to Hist-Analytic, and there are remarks by him
on remarks made by me on Wittgenstein (as well as some insights by Dick
Schmitt  out of U. of Chicago).

At one point in our discussion, Toulmin confided  in me certain facts about
his work in philosophy of science; in particular in  regard to Norwood
Russell Hanson. Both philosophers had
a great deal to do  with how history of science and philosophy of science
relate.

Being a  small time journalist, in "another world," I asked if his comments
were for the  record. He said only on condition that Hanson's wife was no
longer alive. I made  numerous inquiries
and postings and could never make this determination with  any certainty.
Given the lapse of time, I believe she is no longer alive.  Moreover, the
death of Toulmin, himself, alters the moral
equation, somewhat.  So I'm tinkering with the idea of repeating what he
said in connection with  Hanson. If there are other sources on this, I'd like
to know. I DO know that  Toulmin was
working on memoirs. If anyone knows anything about the status of  this
work, please let me know.

I commented at a meeting on Toulmin's  philosophy of science, years ago. He
was prepared and wrote up a rather  detailed  set of notes on my comments
and read them in reply to  my
commentary. Some of this stuff was historically significant but I never
saw the copy and I forgot some of his points of clarification. This had to do
with Foresight and Understanding, I believe.
If anyone knows of archives  that would be helpful.

I'll consider going public on the Hanson thing. In the  meantime.

Regards

Steve Bayne