[hist-analytic] Toulmin and the Play Group

Baynesr at comcast.net Baynesr at comcast.net
Thu Dec 17 09:55:14 EST 2009

  JL ,

Thanks for this. I DO have some leads on Toulmin's estate, which I hope to

follow up on soon. Actually, I'm behind in doing something similar with

Scriven . Just a couple of point.

First, P. H. Nowell-Smith informed me in correspondence some years

ago that he was in this group. In fact, a close read of his _Ethics_ reveals

some striking use of language one finds in Austin. I asked him if these

locutions ( I don't have them at my finger tips) were his or Austin's. He

was uncommitted but seemed to indicate they were Austin's. Also, the

expression 'pro-attitude' occurs in Nowell-Smith's _Ethics_ which we

find in Davidson.

Toulmin indicated to me in discussion, by the way, that in his memoirs

he would give definitive statement on what transpired with respect to

"Wittgenstein's poker."

Hugely busy. I found a non-sequitur in D. Lewis in Convention. I stumbled

across it while examining "reciprocity" in Rawls, mainly because I was

in discussion with a bright fellow who disagreed with me based on

Lewis.

I've got a mountain of stuff on the color problem and Aune. It's gotta

come to a stop. I might risk ridicule by simply beginning to post it

without caveats, hedging, qualifications etc. I want to get on with

Aune's book. His stuff on concepts, meaning and the analytic are

superb. So I might just raise this "crap" of mine up the flag pole

and see if anyone salutes.