[hist-analytic] Red And Green All Over Again

jlsperanza at aol.com jlsperanza at aol.com
Wed Jan 6 17:45:49 EST 2010

Just a biblio note of possibly hist-analytic  interest re: B. Aune's
important points below.

Checking for the very  source of Grice's  example cited by Chapman -- below
--

I add this  charmingly  titled (I find) series of articles in Analysis

Hilton, J. "Red  and  green all over again". Analysis, vol. 22
Putnam, H. "Red and green all   over again". PR, vol. 66 --

Incidentally, this connects with D. F.  Pears'  earliest publications,
notably his "Necessary Synthetic"  article in Mind which  B. Williams in
his
foreword to the Pears  festschrift thinks a presequel to  Pears'
"Incompatibility
of Colours".

As for Grice, the  proposition,

(1) Nothing can be red and  green all over

_exercised_  him a good deal, Chapman notes (_Grice_)  and would go and
test
its status with  his children's playmates. His  serious note, though, is in
an   unpublication, where Grice  appeals to 'philosophical wisdom', if
there
is such a  thing -- I am  with B. Aune that it's possibly yet another dogma
of empiricism,  if I  understand him aright.

Grice writes of (1), "is a supposed [by who?   Kant the earliest source?
JLS] candidate
for statement that is both  synthetic  and _a priori_." (Chapman's wording,
but relating to Grice's  "own notes" on the  topic. The reference being to:

Grice, H. P. "The  Way of Words", Studies  in: Notes, Offprints and Draft
Material. H. P.  Grice Papers. BANC MSS 90/135c,  The Bancroft Library,
University of  California,  Berkeley.

Cheers,

J. L.  Speranza

----

In a message  dated 1/6/2010 9:28:33 A.M.  Eastern Standard Time,