[hist-analytic] Hobbesian

Jlsperanza at aol.com Jlsperanza at aol.com
Sat Jan 9 16:43:55 EST 2010

In a message dated 1/9/2010 1:33:27 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
Baynesr at comcast.net writes:
Baker and Hacking are superb philosophers. Grice  is discussed at
length by David Lewis. I hope to get to that. As you know, I  accept
much of what Grice says on meaning, and his use of intention and
expectation in the context of explicating the notion is a remarkably
original and insightful move.

Consider what Rawls says about Hobbes:

"...in my own view and that of many others Hobbes's _Leviathan_
is  the greatest single work of political thought in the English
language."  (Lectures on the History of Political Philosophy,
Harvard, 2007, p. 23)

====

Oops. The mention of not mentioning countries sort of scares  me. For
wasn't Hobbes only concerned about the political situation in England  with the
Charles I and the Charles II? --

Anyway, Hobbes is indeed great, and so are, as you say, both Hacking and
Baker, and a few of other list-members too -- even if I should not go on
mentioning them!

--- Oddly, Hobbes's view reported by Hacking rests on his "Computatio sive
logica", rather than his "Leviathan", I think. I used to consult
Molesworth's  edition of the English works of Hobbes, but much of what he said he did
say in  Latin. I recall having to study "History of Philosophy in England"
technically  and getting a bit upset by Sorley (the author of such a book, a
Scot) in  strictly starting the thing with the _English_ language, when much
of the  earlier modern philosophy, in political philosophy, or other, was
conducted in  Latin!

--- I found J. F. Bennett -- another superb philosopher -- helping me
understand (as Hacking did vis a vis Hobbes) the Gricean basis in Locke. I never
 saw a detailed commentary of the interlocking of intentions in the work of
Locke  other than in Bennett's exegesis on this admirable empiricist
philosopher who  possibly cannot be understood without Hobbes, either.

   for the Grice Club