[hist-analytic] Reciprocity: Rousseau vs. Rawls: Re: Hobbesian

jlsperanza at aol.com jlsperanza at aol.com
Wed Jan 13 10:31:10 EST 2010

In a message dated 1/13/2010 7:32:22  A.M. Eastern Standard Time,
Baynesr at comcast.net writes:
"How about...Each  must do for himself with the least harm
to each other."
The problem here  is that the reciprocal 'each other' is
not bound; that is, I have no idea to  what it refers. It
has no antecedent! Like reflexives, reciprocals must  be
bound in their "governing category" meaning that they
must be coindexed  with an antecedent (within certain
syntactical structures). So to my ear this  is not grammatical.

---

Thanks for commentary.

I'll get back to you re issues of realism. Take very much taken about that,
 and will consider 'assumption'-based analysis. It's interesting that
assumptions  and EXPECTATIONS -- its reciprocal, as it were -- seemed to work for
Grice, but  he was a realist too, so I'll reconsider.

Re: your judgement of ungrammaticality:

(1) * Each must do for himself with the least harm
to each other.

* marks ungrammatical.

Bayne:

"The problem here is that the reciprocal 'each other' is
not bound;  that is, I have no idea to what it refers. It
has no antecedent! Like  reflexives, reciprocals must be
bound in their "governing category" meaning  that they
must be coindexed with an antecedent (within certain
syntactical  structures). So to my ear this is not grammatical."

I was thinking of a pirotic formulation, as it were, i.e. alla Grice method
 in philosopical psychology, where maxims of his manual or imannuel are
written  or formulated for "any old pirot" as it were (or person, if you must).

So in a model for two individuals

a, b.

(1) * Each must do for himself with the least harm
to each other.

we have

MINIMISE-PAIN (a, b)
MINIMISE-PAIN (b, a)

irrelevant, otiose, but still corollaries:

MINIMISE-PAIN (a, a)
MINIMISE-PAIN (b, b)

If we take a dyadic argument as ill-forming a sentence if equated ("John
loves John"), ("John minimises his own pain") then we can avoid the latter
two,  and stick to the relevant first two hits. I wouldn't.

In other words, to reply to Bayne:

"The problem here is that the reciprocal 'each other' is
not bound; that  is, I have no idea to what it refers."

Well, either a, or b. It wouldn't matter which. It applies to "any old
pirot", or any constant of individual which is 'dossiered', to use Grice's
parlance (his idea of 'dossiers' for individuals in terms of their definite
descriptors), by the range of variables of individuals.

"It
has no antecedent!"

In which case, I would suggest: give ANY constant, i.e. each and every,
constant of individual as a possible antecedent. Note that philosophers and
moralists usually SHOULD be concerned with mere formula with variables of
individuals. It would be unfair if a moralist denies to provide an example of
a  moral law on the basis that he cannot find the antecedent for the
variables! Or  worse, that they complain the variable is not bound!?

Bayne:

"Like reflexives, reciprocals must be
bound in their "governing  category" meaning that they
must be coindexed with an antecedent (within  certain
syntactical structures). So to my ear this is not grammatical."

Sorry about that! And I do get your point. Will try to work on more
grammatical forms. But again, recall that in my rewrite, it's not real minimise
of pain we want. We don't want THAT type of benevolence. We don't want Evita
to  warn us not to cry for her! We want us, basically, as Grice has it in
his  'pinko' agenda, 'to be left alone!'.

I loved your idea of being 'partially in love'. I do think that when lovers
 (usually) speak of mutual reciprocal love, they don't know what they are
talking  about! Recall, "The power of love"

    You've got to GIVE a little
    TAKE a little.

But as Eros and Anteros -- in Greek mythology go -- the love you GIVE is
always GREATER than the love you TAKE. So what does that say for Reciprocity.
I  would like too to check what Russell in Principia says about reciprocal.
I get  hits for Langendoen, etc. -- but not Russell's idea, if any.