[hist-analytic] Not Cricket

Baynesr at comcast.net Baynesr at comcast.net
Thu Jan 14 07:06:08 EST 2010

Good point, and not just because I can respond briefly.
Rawls doesn't take up ANY of the Greek philosophers,
but DOES take up everyone else, it seems. This is
interesting in itself. I'll take a look at Grice on this.
Aristotle is a core figure in Anscombe, but here interest
is morality not justice.

I've been "indoctrinated" so heavily in the Kantian creed
that Rawls's Kantianism is, at first, appealing. I was
considering how I might define 'tolerance', given the
counterfeit role it plays in Rawls. What I came up with is
this:

"Tolerance is the recognition of a duty to respect the
freedom of others."

Surely,there must be a better one. But what?

Very tricky notion; not like, say, 'bias' which is conceptually
somewhat void of conceptual content. This illustrates another
interesting asymmetry: coming up with a definition of 'tolerance'
is tough; so is providing a criterion of 'toleration'; perhaps
there is not; whereas 'bias' is easy enough to define, although
many will make a valiant effort to prove otherwise, *applying*
any criterion seems to suggest the need for further critera.
Tolerance is not a legal idea, bias is.

Regards

STeve