[hist-analytic] Not Cricket

jlsperanza at aol.com jlsperanza at aol.com
Fri Jan 15 18:34:56 EST 2010

Thanks for your comments, Steve.

Please note, and you may comment on this, that my "not cricket" is meant,
amusingly? to refer, apparently, to an idiom in English,

  "That's not cricket!"

which is supposed to conversationally imply (if you excuse me the split
infinitive),

   "It's not fair!"

If you feel you need to change the header, do!

(I call "not cricket" what Horn has called 'squatitive negation', for
surely it would be uncolloquial to say, of Rawls, or any other that he _is_
cricket, i.e. 'fair'. Similarly with 'she is my cup of tea'. Oddly Grice relied
 a lot on this type of metaphor: "She is an old bag", WoW).

--- Now to the comments on what S. R. Bayne self-labels, 'trivial', meaning
 that every schoolboy should study by heart in logic-grammar-and-rhetoric
(the  trivium)

In a message dated 1/14/2010 6:27:38 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,