[hist-analytic] Not Cricket

Baynesr at comcast.net Baynesr at comcast.net
Sun Jan 17 09:10:40 EST 2010

"Your reference to "a priori evils" is very good -- alla Nussbaum, I assume."

The idea has been around. It goes back to commentary on Aristotle, where

there are things for which there is no excess or defect. For example, I may

be incontinent with respect to eating, but there is nothing comparable with

respect to murdering. So the idea, at least, has been around. Lot's of things

may be "a priori"; even sensations, as I recall, for Kant (Second Critique).

You mention the following case:

"equal, even, well-balanced,
ἅρμα δίκαιον evengoing chariot, X.Cyr.2.2.26"

I've sometimes wondered about the relation of 'aqua' to 'equal'. I imagine

a calm morning; I look at the water; it is level ('equal') now 'aqua' may have

been "calm water." Just a thought.

Thanks for all this. Right now I must make the social contrract philosophers

familiar rooms. This is nothing that can be done overnight but it must be done.

I've looked at some of the usual commentaries, Sabine is very good, e.g., but

for now its gotta be just a matter of slogging through stuff I read when I was

young while in a hurry to get on with how 'the' fits in with 'the cat is on the mat'.

Rawls avoids replying to Hare. Hare was harsh, but Rawls appears silent

with respect to a number of his critics. Rawls is a very good philosopher.

Unfortunately, much of what he wrote amounts to being an "advertisement"

for his position. Still, I think he's the best political philosopher since Mill.