[hist-analytic] Not Cricket

Baynesr at comcast.net Baynesr at comcast.net
Mon Jan 18 10:23:48 EST 2010

Just a very quick observation.

I can say,

x is flatter than y

although x is not flat. Similarly, I can say

x is rounder than y.

But there is a difference. Being rounder entails a *degree* of roundness;

being flat does not suggest with the same force a degree of flatness.

This is probably owing to the fact that degree of flatness is

privation of degree of roundness. So there is this asymmetry between

round and flat.

Similarly, I can say

x is more just than y.

x must have some degree of justice. There are other terms that differ because they

are not in the comparative degree but are positive. So, e.g., I may say

x is hotter than y

meaning that x is not, necessarily, hot. But here I wouldn't want to say that

x must possess some degree of hotness. So 'just' is not like 'hot'. It is not

a comparative in the positive degree. What does this mean? I means that

inasmuch as 'hot' requires a standard over and above the measure of

temperature, so too, 'just' does NOT require a standard over and above

any other magnitude. Notice 'warm'.

I can say

x is warmer than y

meaning x's warmth is greater than y's even though it is not warm. But here

x is not necessarily warm. But is this like 'just'? Further, if

x is hotter than y

is intended to mean

x is hot and the hotness of x is greater than y

then both x and y must be hot. But if

x is more just than y

do I ever say this with the intention of meaning that x is just and the

justice of x is greater than that of y, so both are just? What does this

all suggest? Well, perhaps, that 'just' unlike 'hot' is never grammatically

a comparative in the positive degree. Is, justice, then comparative?

We say,

He received some just compensation

or

There was some justice in this.

We do not say there was some heat where possessing heat implies

(materially) being hot. In this respect 'heat' is not like 'just'; for we do not say

there is some justice in this but it is not just. We say

there is some heat here

without meaning there is hotness. The logic of all this will once clarified

have consequences for whether justice requires a standard, a standard

of justice. I don't believe it does, but I might change my mind. Also, justice

is not a privation of injustice; this figures in.

Regards

STeve