[hist-analytic] Positivism in 21th.-Century Analytic Philosophy

jlsperanza at aol.com jlsperanza at aol.com
Tue Feb 2 13:18:23 EST 2010

That´s R. B. Jones!   Sorry for pompous header, and I see poor Stephen
is having problems with Word. Indeed a bad software, it seems. Anyway,
a little ps. in care R. B. Jones cares to comment on the

value-side

to what I see his "metaphysical" scheme: positivism. I see he may
endorse a NEUTRAL view of "positivism" as the "logical" positivists
once endorsed. Where "positivism" has little in the way of comparison
with things like Comte´s philosophy and stuff.

But perhaps, no. And Jones is a _positivist_ of the old school as he
should and as I would myself be, if I could make sense of the idea of
"progress" which was in Comte´s head and in the contributors to the
"Unified Science" project.

Grice writes, "beware of the devil of scientism", in Conception of
Value.

Oddly, I love a devil -- and one of my favourite operas is
"Mefistofele" by Boito.

Etc.

JL