[hist-analytic] Positivism in 21th.-Century Analytic Philosophy

Roger Bishop Jones rbj at rbjones.com
Thu Feb 4 12:32:14 EST 2010

On Tuesday 02 Feb 2010 22:21, Jlsperanza at aol.com wrote:

> I love the IDEA of a unified science if that's just what it was supposed to
>  mean: One Big Science.

I have to admit, having glanced back at my extremely concise notes,
that it it all bound up with reductionism in a sense (the language of unified
science was supposed to be physicalistic, i,e, materialistic)
very close to the one which Grice abhors.

>  It may have to do also with one of the 'betes
> noires'  Grice encounters. In your pdf you mention "Gladiators", but let's
>  not forget  "Naturalism". It seems that
>
>    naturalism
>
> and perhaps
>
>   Materialism
>
> -- Betes noires are for Grice, reductive schemes ending in -ism --
> Reductionism being the blackest of them all.

We talked about this last year on hist-analytic I see.

http://www.rbjones.com/pipermail/hist-analytic_rbjones.com/2009q1/000078.html

The precise abhorrence you quote Grice as relating there is to:

                the idea that semantic
         concepts are  unsatisfactory or even
         unintelligible,

                      *unless* they can be provided with

         interpretations in terms  of some predetermined,
         privileged, and favored  array of concepts;

This is something which Grice  _thinks_ he has not done.
Its not clear whether he thinks it illegitimate, undoable, or just
uninteresting.

In our present conversation we need also to consider whether this kind of
reductive analysis is something which Carnap accepted/did/found interesting.
This seems to me uncertain.
Do you get out of Grice's crosshairs if you are a pluralistic reductionist,
i.e. at any moment you are reducing to a single kind of thing, but then at the
next moment you will by trying it out on another single kind of thing?

I may be worth considering in this Grice's interest in the causal theory of
perception, for it seems to me that is a move conciliatory to logical
positivism.
Austin's attack in Sense and Sensibila is aimed primarily at the logical
positivists, and it fits my gladiatorial category because Austin doesn't care
what Ayer means by "directly perceive" he will refute him by reference to what
it actually means, in "ordinary" language, ignoring what philosophers mean by
it and what a scientist might easily have meant by it.

Grice's conciliatory gesture is to try to make sense of causal theories, the
essence one might say of which is to explain the details of how perception is
mediated by causal processes (and hence not unmediated, and hence reasonably
describable as not direct).

--
rbjones.com                        PGP public key at: rbjones.com/rbj.asc