[hist-analytic] The Devil of Scientism

Jlsperanza at aol.com Jlsperanza at aol.com
Sat Feb 6 21:28:27 EST 2010

This quote by Grice to reconsider:

"We must be ever watchful against the Devil of scientism, who  would  lead
us into myopic overconcentration on the nature and importance  of knowledge,
 and of scientific knowledge in particular; the Devil who is  even so
audacious as
to tempt us to call in question the very system  of ideas required to make
intelligible the idea of calling in question  anything at all; and who
would even  prompt us, in effect, to suggest that  since we do not really think
but only
think that we think, we had  better change our minds without undue  delay."

Grice at his  sumptuous best -- and in need for a reductive analysis into
what he may have  meant in terms of necessary and sufficient conditions!
(Just to tease Jones!)

Best,

JLS