[hist-analytic] Rosebud and cherry-tree landscape -- _desserted_

Roger Bishop Jones rbj at rbjones.com
Sun Feb 7 10:01:05 EST 2010

On Sunday 07 Feb 2010 14:14, Jlsperanza at aol.com wrote:
> Yet another ref. in the "Carnap and Grice on analysis" series. This one
> already discussed, but again in terms of Grice's view on "minimalism". All
>  his betes noires end in -ism. His idea that, to use Strawson's simile in
>  "A logician's landscape", the minimalist paints a florid landscape as
>  brutally deserted. Etc. JL Speranza.

But aren't these anti-ism antagon-isms rather crudely drawn?
Isn't our language rich enough for there to be some acceptable kinds of
minimalism as well as some noxious ones?
Shouldn't we expect from Grice a finer drawing of the Bete he wants to paint
noire?

>      ps. A compleat list of the betes noires perhaps in  order, perhaps at
> the Griceclub.blogspot.com

I will put it in my "pdf" if you come up with one, and we can analyse which
ones Carnap falls foul of.

RBJ