[hist-analytic] Rosebud and cherry-tree landscape -- _desserted_

jlsperanza at aol.com jlsperanza at aol.com
Sun Feb 7 13:03:59 EST 2010

"But aren't these anti-ism antagon-isms rather crudely drawn?
Isn't our language rich enough for there to be some acceptable kinds of
minimalism as well as some noxious ones?
Shouldn't we expect from Grice a finer drawing of the Bete he wants to
paint
noire? ...
I will put it in my "pdf" if you come up with one, and we can analyse
which
ones Carnap falls foul of."

Excellent. Does motivate me.

You are right that the betes need not be "as black as they are
painted", to use the locution.

I actually wrote donkey ears ago, to impress my PhD thesis advisor a
thing I called "Minimal conversational pragmatics alla Grice". It was
so minimal it was only 5-pages long. He was NOT impressed. "You need to
fill a 300 page thesis, you know".

Anyway, later when I read Chapman´s "Grice" I see that my mentor
(Grice) WAS into minimalism, too, back in the day, when lecturing on