[hist-analytic] Hume Is Where The Heart Is

Jlsperanza at aol.com Jlsperanza at aol.com
Tue Feb 9 15:12:01 EST 2010

In a message dated 2/9/2010 10:08:35 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,
rbj at rbjones.com writes:

They say  that Hume (even if that's were
> your heart is) is wrong: 'cause' is not  as Hume thought it wasn't.

So he was right?
(all he said after all,  was that causal connections are not necessary, and
by
that he clearly(!)  meant, logically necessary)

----

I'm thinking of Gricean-type objections to the very idea of 'cause'. And
that's pretty Humean of Grice, and rightly so, too!

He is considering utterances like:

  i. Decapitation was the _cause_ of Charles I's death.

as meaning, originally, or literally, or metaphysically, or  anti-Humeanly:

ii. Charles I's decapitation _willed_ his death.

(WoW:162).

While the phenomenalism (empiricist) thing concerned Hume, he was possibly
thinking that 'cause' -- qua _term_ is misleading in that it infuses our
talk  with an animistic ring to it, which is _NOT_ what a physicist is
thinking when  he uses 'cause'. But then Heisenberg and his indeterminacy destroyed
the last  hope?

Etc.

JL