[hist-analytic] McPherson's Hobbes

Baynesr at comcast.net Baynesr at comcast.net
Fri Feb 12 11:42:35 EST 2010

Sorry for the delay JL . There is a lot of long winded stuff
in political theory. Let me comment on a couple of things.

First, actually, I'm not a New Englander . I lived in NE over
twenty years, but the family is from the South and the Midwest.
My branch came up through Tennessee to S. Illinois around
1850. Historically, deep roots in the Confederacy, although
my sympathies were never with the ideas of succession or
slavery etc. Now on counterfactuals .

MacPherson describes his counterfactual approach as
"abstraction," and I think this is pretty much unobjectionable.
But there is something very interesting here. The
counterfactual specification of worlds is one thing, but
its equivalence to a form of abstraction is something
else difficult to deny. By stipulating a world which is
the same except with regard to X in a way I abstract from
the world. So I abstract a class of facts from the world.
Recall Locke. There as I recall abstraction is not of
facts but ideas. So the difference is fundamentally one
of "facts" vs. "things" but there is still abstraction.
There is an important difference.

That important difference is that Locke is an empiricist
and his abstraction is empirical. In the counterfactual
case we extend the method of abstraction to facts or
classes of facts. So we can view counterfactual
stipulation as non-empirical abstraction.