[hist-analytic] Conditional vs. Hypothetical

rh1 at york.ac.uk rh1 at york.ac.uk
Mon Feb 15 06:51:07 EST 2010

Dear JL,

I'm not clear what I should help with, but if it's Philo's description of
what we call the material conditional, he ddn't use a word for it. He said,
The connected proposition is true when it is not the case that it begins
with the true and ends with the false. (The whole passage is in Bochenski's
History of Formal Logic, at 20.07, and the original is at AM VIII.113 in
your Sextus Empiricus (lovely Loeb). Bochenski gives some explanation about
the avoidance of any word meaning `conditional'
  Probably you know all this, and wanted something else.
    All the best,
        Roland