[hist-analytic] McPherson on Hobbes: status/simple market/possessive market

Baynesr at comcast.net Baynesr at comcast.net
Tue Feb 16 09:55:54 EST 2010

My first impression was that Hobbes offers very little to the

analytical philosopher. But I think now that this was mistaken.

Whereas Rawls moves to assert the primacy of the political

over the moral ("comprehensive views"), Hobbes seeks,

as MacPherson points out, a reduction of obligation to

purely material principles related to the "possessive

individualism" in the "possessive market place."

What I will show is that having linked Rousseau and

Rawls I can also show that Hobbes belongs in this

group rather than those who adopt a more Lockean

position.

Much will depend on how we understand the idea of

freedom. There is a seamless connection between

Hobbes on Man and Hobbes on the Commonwealth.

Rawls tries the same thing, but his success is doubtful.

Rawls loses sight of the individual, whereas Hobbes who

would probably be somewhat sympathetic to Rawls

does not.

Everything depends on the nature of reciprocity which

has not been sufficiently examined by past scholars.

Once this is done we see much more clearly.

Now ESSENTIAL to this, I think, is coming to grips

with D. Lewis's treatment of Grice in his work on

convention. I am deferring that until I get clearer on

freedom among contractarians . Then back to Grice !

What Rawls doens't capture is the relation of individuals

in a market economy (of any of the sorts discussed)

to contract. Understandablyt since his "methodological

avoidance" of "comprehensive views" leads him down

that road.