[hist-analytic] Carnap and Grice on "logical"

Jlsperanza at aol.com Jlsperanza at aol.com
Fri Mar 5 02:08:49 EST 2010

In a message dated 3/4/2010 7:25:30 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,
rbj at rbjones.com writes:

in first  order logic, none of the logical operators
are  constants.

-----

Excuse me, again, my naivete. You mean they are not non-logical constants?
I can see that 'constant' has these two uses:

non-logical constant (of individual): a, b, c, ... n
non-logical constant (of predicate): F, G, H, ...

but there would be
logical constant for 1-ary truth-functor: -
logical constants for 2-ary truth-functors: &, v, ->
logical constant for quantifier: (x), (Ex), (ix).

--- And what Toulmin seems to be saying as per you above, that the choice
of the logical constants in a language is a matter of choice. Modal logic
alla  Kripke, for example, has the Nec. operator as a logical constant.
Hintikka's  doxastic logic may have "Bel" as a logical constant -- although it
looks  like a common-or-garden dyadic predicate to me. Etc.

Grice is most technical here in his contribution to the festschrift for
Quine. This came out in 1969, "Dordrecht: Reidel -- ed Davidson/Hinikkta). All
 the contributors had the essays ready by 1968, I think and it was all
published  in a special issue of Synthese. Grice's contribution appeared,
fortunately --  better late than never -- in the book form. Seeing that Grice was
so busy with  his 'implicature' stuff just fresh from Harvard -- although
there are quotes for  'implicature' dating back to 1964, as cited from
archival material by Chapman  --, one is warmed up by Grice's interest in having a
second round with  Quine.

Grice was possibly upset that Quine did not take the "Defense of a dogma"
seriously enough, as coming from two 'ordinary-language philosophers'. This
must  have hurt Grice quite a bit -- especially since he would remember his
own  polemics with Strawson on this -- and the next thing he was mixing with
all the  possible logicians in the area -- both East (Boolos, Parsons) and
West (Myro,  Mate) to get to see if he could provide a better definition of
'logical', inter  alia.

Cheers,

JL Speranza