[hist-analytic] Tarski, Carnap and Grice on "snow is white"

Jlsperanza at aol.com Jlsperanza at aol.com
Fri Mar 5 12:59:33 EST 2010

In a message dated 3/5/2010 9:29:36 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,
rbj at rbjones.com writes:
and my example was offered as an analytic
proposition in the metalanguage,

---

Oops, thanks for that.

So if I'm following. Since English can be the Meta-language, we don't
really need a formal proof, as it were that something is analytic _in_ the
meta-language. But I guess the idea is to proceed, _informally_, as we have
proceeded, _formally_, in the construction of the object-language. I suppose
the  mere _examination_ of a claim (in the meta-language) would be enough for
the  analyst to judge whether it is analytic or not. My procedure would be
to refer  to something like the corresponding object-language tautology, i.e.
the  meta-language analytic sentence _sans_ quotation marks, as it were.
But there  may be more complications. Where would philosophy be without them?!