[hist-analytic] Carnap and Grice on "psychology" ('assertion' and 'belief')

Jlsperanza at aol.com Jlsperanza at aol.com
Sun Mar 7 20:37:58 EST 2010

In a message dated 3/7/2010 4:50:54 P.M.  Eastern Standard Time,
rbj at rbjones.com writes:
Surely Grice should be a  philosopher of psychology, and a
philosophical psychologist someone  approaching the similar
problems from the opposite direction?

----

Guess so, but as I said in post on 'philosophical logician' -- without
having read the above, hence reply in this one -- I did claim that I had not
heard of a psychologist dubbing himself (or his-self, as I prefer -- on risk)
a  philosophical one.

Ditto, Carnap.

Both Carnap and Grice seem to think that 'belief' and 'assertion' --  more
the former, i.e. 'belief' or 'consent' -- seems to be a psychological
notion, or a concept, a theoretical one, non-observable, of the theory or one
theory of psychology. Grice's caveats with Intention-Based semantics would
have  him carefully analysing how one could define '... believes that...' in
terms, as  apparently Carnap (Church, early Quine, some Davidson) had as "...
is disposed  to assent to the utterance of the statement "p"".

For Grice, it would seem, 'assert' is sort of reduced to terms of '...
believes...'. He, in the non-symmetricalist picture of him, painted by
Avramides  in her book on Grice, is one. (Unlike, she holds, and rightly so it
seems,  Davidson). I'm less sure about Davidson. This relates to the holism
Davidson  inherited from Quine. It's the _same_ evidence that has us saying, "he
asserts  that p", "he believes that p". I doubt that.

Plus, Grice would say, a cat may believe that the fridge is full, but
hardly _assert_ _that_ the fridge is full (what kind of miaow would _that_ be?
-- the regular one? Wouldn't that be more of an assertion that he, for one,
cannot open it, i.e. the fridge?)

--- There are problems with Carnap's physicalist reduction of psychology,
perhaps. In that he would be more concerned than Grice would, on the very
elements of a theory of psychology. In any case, these things seem to belong
to  the area where both Carnap and Grice were good at. It would be very
BORING for  me to have to read how a PSYCHOLOGIST defines his field of
expertise.

This has a curious consequence that I may share in full elsewhere, I hope.
Grice's qualms, as per archival material by Chapman, that he never quite
understood why people who are NOT philosophers are always ready to say what
philosophy is. I don't see the problem. After all, philosophers are ALWAYS,
or  most of the time, talking about other things. Grice would say that that
doesn't  compare, because a philosopher is a man, and a man can speak of
things of  general concern, or interest. And indeed he seldom inquired onto the
 _particulars_ of a discipline other than his own (philosophy). But one
still  wonders. It's a strong statement by Grice cited by Chapman 2006, on the