[hist-analytic] Carnap, Grice, and the Infinity

Roger Bishop Jones rbj at rbjones.com
Wed Mar 10 06:08:58 EST 2010

I have a difficulty responding to JL on the above topic, for I
have lost grip on where we are going.

I think JL is exploring some of the things which we may
thing of as the "bleeding edge" of Grice's philosophy,
perhaps trying to push on in the direction which Grice was
headed.  However, I don't understand the direction and this
make is hard to engage.

This applies to the Pirotic stuff.
I have the impression that this is Grice thinking about
philosophical psychology, but even if this impression is
correct, its not enough for me.

Can JL offer us some story about why Grice is interested in
philosophical psychology and what he is trying to achieve
there?  Is this something to do with rationality?
Is he trying to understand its origins, or trying to
comprehend its pathologies?

RBJ