[hist-analytic] Tarski, Carnap and Grice on "snow is white": designate and indicate

Roger Bishop Jones rbj at rbjones.com
Wed Mar 10 06:30:02 EST 2010

On Friday 05 Mar 2010 18:19, Jlsperanza at aol.com wrote:

> Grice WoW:v -- what I have elsewhere referred to as his
>  "Shaggy Dog Story" proposes to analyse in some more
>  detail what is involved in
>
> designating
>
> and
>
> indicating

I haven't yet grasped here why we have two different words
and what their significance is.
How is this better than saying that both the subject and
predicate "denote" (or some other word) and that the thing
denoted by the subject has or is or is in the thing denoted
by the predicate?

Partly here my difficulty is in comprehending what our aim is.
Is this a fragment of the large project of obtaining an
understanding of the semantics of English, and if so do we
have a definite idea of what kind of semantics we are looking
for?

RBJ