[hist-analytic] Carnap, Grice, and the Infinity

Jlsperanza at aol.com Jlsperanza at aol.com
Fri Mar 12 13:01:32 EST 2010

In a message dated 3/10/2010 8:49:36 rbj at rbjones.com writes:
"Can  JL  offer us some story about why Grice is interested in
philosophical  psychology and what he is trying to achieve
there?  Is this something  to do with rationality?"

Well,  in this particular thread, with 'infinite'  in the title, I was
quoting  some remarks by Grice on a language being by  definition an
INFINITE set
of, say, sentences.

In which case, it would be UNLEARNABLE, as per  Davidson's argument.

The recursive nature of the 'syntax' *rules*,  however, would stop the
regressus ad infinitum, before it starts,  almost, as we may then be  only
concerned with the user of a language  being able to apply these  recursive
rules.

I was providing the  quotes because it is at THAT level only, i.e., when we

are thinking of  a 'denumerable' infinity, Grice thinks, that we are
justified in   talking about a 'language' at all.

Both NL (natural language) and FL  (formal language) would be infinite in
this sense.

I was  providing the quotes by Grice to check if Carnap makes a reference
the  issue of the infinity.

One problem which should NOT concerned us, but  did concern Quine is that
in
HIS approach (in "Word and Object"),  "Belief---" gets to be a 'monadic'
predicate, so that there is one  specific belief for each sentence of the
language (of the correct  assertoric type).

If Carnap sees the link between 'assertion' and  'belief' as a close one --

and as the subject matter of "pragmatics"  (in Pierce's and Morris's
tradition  that he often relies on), he may  need a different account of
the
'belief'  predicate.

In the  case of Grice, his programme in philosophical psychology allows him

to  ascribe content to believers which is 'compositional' in this way (i.e.

not  monadic as in the case of Quine, if not Davidson) although the
details
of his  psychological theory construction are far from crystal  clear, I
hasten to  say.

J. L.  Speranza