[hist-analytic] David Lewis, Grice and Rawlsian Contracts

Baynesr at comcast.net Baynesr at comcast.net
Sat Jan 2 11:57:01 EST 2010

I haven't been able to reply to Speranza on a couple of occasions.

This post goes part way to explaining why, aside from getting the

final touches on the Anscombe book.

As a result of an interesting and provocative discussion, I

turned my attention, recently, to Rawls . In particular to a comparison

of Rawlsian contract theory and that of Hobbes. I've decided to do an

extended work on Rawls , Popper and Ronald Dworkin . My aim

is, among other things, to state my case against Rawls on contract.

Now an interesting development, one that may particularly interest JL ,

is that there is an extended discussion of Grice on "Meaning" in

David Lewis's stimulating work _Convention : A Philosophical Study_ .

Now I haven't looked at this closely, because I'm still thinking about

Lewis's views on conventions vs. contracts. It occurred to me that there

is a connection here to Dworkin's criticisms of H. L. Hart on the nature

of law. What I'm fiddling with is the difference between normative and

nonnormative conventions in connection with this distinction between

 laws and contracts. I will probably end up rejecting contract theory as

well as utilitarianism. My predilection is for "perfectionist" views in

ethics but the material on this is sparse and obscure.

What I'm doing is tackling Rawls on contract on economic doctrine.

My own position , generally, is that of Joseph Schumpeter with some

"upgrading" based on the economist, Baumol , and others. Rawls is

deliciously vulnerable, but more deliciously insightful on these matters.

Dworkin (Ronald), I keep reading and every new look contains a new

insight. The matter of the "hard case" in law really has some nice

aspects amenable to recent work on mind. We'll see. Anyway, JL might

be looking at some postings on Lewis and Grice .

I might begin with an attack on Lewis based on a nonsequitur  related

to reciprocity which I think occurs in his book on convention, reciprocity

it may recalled is an essential element in Rawlsian contract theory.