[hist-analytic] Austin, How To Do Things With Externalism

jlsperanza at aol.com jlsperanza at aol.com
Sat Jan 2 15:51:59 EST 2010

ps. re contracts and Hart.

S. R. Bayne quotes Hart, and I mentioned Austin (in my "Grice and Grice")
meaning John Austin, not J. L. Austin.

The limerick I was thinking is pretty rude, but I asterisked the wrong
word, and it's (c) Donal McEvoy, a friend of mine who lives in London and
writes  limericks for a living (not his):

---

There once was a philosopher Hart
Who considered John Austin a  f*rt
"Well suggesting, of course,
That law's just commands backed by  force
Gives all Nazis a massive headstart."

---

When I was discussing these things in Buenos Aires, with a student of
Bulygin (R. Aranovich) we were able to discuss at length Hart (an Anglo-Jewish,
in fact) and his distinction between

         internal

vs.

         external

readings of things, like "This woman should be driving on the left side of
the street". I think Hart's target was John Austin, who indeed thought that
'the  law' (which is an ASS) "is "just commands backed by force".

And making 'force' sublter as 'illocutionary' force via (J. L. Austin) is
no help!