[hist-analytic] Hobbesian

jlsperanza at aol.com jlsperanza at aol.com
Sat Jan 9 12:48:10 EST 2010

-----Original Message-----
From: Baynesr at comcast.net
To: hist-analytic <hist-analytic at simplelists.co.uk>
Sent: Sat, Jan 9, 2010 12:02 pm
Subject: New Moves

"I will be examining Hobbes..."
"I engage the topics ... in a more or less Hobbesian
framework, strange as that may sound."

----

That is excellent, and all good wishes to you.

When I was doing Grice, I was fascinated by a discussion of him in Judy
Baker (Grice´s collaborator)´s husband, I. M. Hacking, the Canada-born
philosopher. In his "Why does language matter to philosophy,"
he cares to take Hobbes more or less seriously into consideration.
Matter of fact, he calls Hobbes a proto- (or as I prefer, paleo-)
Gricean. Mainly in terms of intentions to display an "artificial" sign.
If I recall aright, Hacking´s example of Hobbes is "Stone!"

The obvious point: by uttering, "Stone!¨ the utterer U means that his
or her addressee should form the belief that the utterer is
entertaining the content, "stone". No mediate naive views there.

So, I just thought that Bayne´s point about turning Hobbesian contra
Rawls sounds very good.

   for the Grice Circle