[hist-analytic] The arbitrariness of convention: revisited

steve bayne baynesrb at yahoo.com
Sat Jan 9 13:45:34 EST 2010

JL,

Yes, you are absolutely right. I was unclear on what you meant
exactly but your point is well taken.

It may be a non-arbitrary decision whether to have traffic
rules, or conventions, but it is arbitrary as to _which_
conventions to adopt. This is the fundamental difference
between convention for Lewis and contract. In social contract
there are no alternatives; that is, there is only the state of
nature or the social contract, unlike the case of traffic laws.
Take a look at Lewis _Convention_ p. 96 for the point your
raise.