[hist-analytic] Two's Company

jlsperanza at aol.com jlsperanza at aol.com
Mon Jan 11 15:50:05 EST 2010

In a message dated 1/10/2010 10:35:35 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,
Baynesr at comcast.net writes:
1. Each of them loves the other
2. They love  each other
3. Each of them loves the others
The think to notice is that in  a world of two individuals (1) and
(2) are synonomous. But notice that in a  world of ten individuals
(2) and (3) are not equivalent...

----

I've been thinking about this, and take Bayne's point splendidly. It is a
good exercise in model interpretation to start with dyadic relations, which
are  symmetrical, and consider all the combinatory, as it were.

On the other hand, I still think there are good pragmatic things to
consider.

The first is what I call, between the Boor [?] and the Otiose.

    A: We are brothers.

implicating, 'to each other'. It would be odd, but possible, that both are
brothers, but not to each other. In fact, the Western Brothers, so called,
were  cousins.

    B:  We are married to each other.

on the other hand, seems otiose. I.e. unless a good excuse to the contrary,
 "We are a married couple" should suffice. All these phenomena I take as
pragmatic, and wonder if Lesnik considers them.

The second would be:

   "I opened the door and there they were the three stooges,  sucking each
others' fingers."

Suppose to simplify the scenario, that in this world, a stooge has only one
 finger. But still, I cannot easily picture the scenario with 'each other'
as it  applies to a contradiction to the well known principle in Argentina:
the four  Ts.

   T T T T

takes two to tango -- implicating, the French are generally wrong!

   for the Grice Circle