[hist-analytic] Positivism in 21st-Century Analytic Philosophy

jlsperanza at aol.com jlsperanza at aol.com
Fri Feb 5 15:01:23 EST 2010

A correction on the typo in header.

ObGricean:

It´s 1, it´s 2, it´s 3.
It´s first, it´s second, it´s third.

Some people have noted that while

3, 2, 1

form a scale that generates "scalar implicatures"

Third, Second, First

would not. I disagree. I too think that "third, second, first" generate
scalar implicatures.

Second ObGricean: Is it the case that ordinals for, say, 1, are
IRREGULAR in all natural language.

Cfr prim-ero, segund-o, in Spanish. premiere in French. primo in
Italian.

Levinson, and later Beutinck, have looked for evidence of numerals and
ordinals in languages other than English. From what I recall, in a
language that Levinson researched on (he is an anthropologist at
heart), more than "5" means "too many" (It IS a digital language
alright!) Cheers. JLS