[hist-analytic] Conditional vs. Hypothetical

Jlsperanza at aol.com Jlsperanza at aol.com
Sat Feb 13 16:45:57 EST 2010

In a message dated 2/13/2010 3:51:19 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
Baynesr at comcast.net writes:
"Thus in the Rudiments the state of war is  hypothetical
condition, got by a purely logical abstraction." (p.  28)

---- Not to nitpick, but perhaps you are reading too much of your own  good
healthy robust and Lewisian logical background onto poor ol' McPherson (you
 haven't disclosed his affiliation yet! :)).
     We should play a little with that lovely Greek  word,
           -thesis
it yields: hypo-thesis -- hypo-thetical. Latin: sup-positio,  suppositio.
              pro-thesis                                     prae-positio
              thesis
positio
              apothesis                                         re-positio
                                    I never understood, for example, the
logic of prae-sub-positio!

--- But 'conditional'?
Are we thinking material, here? Incidentally, while I think I know that Gk.
 for 'if' is 'ei', I'm less sure what word Philo (who invented the
'horseshoe' of the logicians, apparently) gave for 'material conditional'. The
'material' sounds obscenely Aristotelian (vs. formal-implication, no  doubt).
   I recently received a query as to Grice's "Indicative  Conditionals" for
example. This is the title that he used in WoW for his 4th  William James
Lecture. Note "conditional", but, and he does consider  'subjective
conditionals" which he doesn't think are truth-functional.  Etc.

The terminology, while Stoic -- and Grice would be familiar with it  via
Benson Mates's researches on Stoic Logic, could be (and R. Hall may help us
here) 'grammatical' (via Dionysos Thrax) here:

after all, unlike 'and' and 'or' -- the other propositional connectors used
 by the stoics,

  'if' (Greek 'ei', Latin 'si')

  imports a sub-ordination

    protasis                    apodosis

--- In this connection, I treasure one of the most pedantic talks  I ever
had to wear. My thesis advisor, E. A. Rabossi, discussing with  Beatrix
Lavandera, a linguist.

Every time Lavandera said 'protasis' and 'apodosis' in her comments,
Rabossi would go, "I hope both Dr. Lavandera and the  audience will forgive me
for using 'antecedent' and 'consequent'  instead!

JLS