[hist-analytic] Carnap and Grice on "analytic"

Jlsperanza at aol.com Jlsperanza at aol.com
Thu Mar 4 01:32:12 EST 2010

In a message dated 3/3/2010 12:12:04  P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
rbj at rbjones.com writes:
to the definition of  analyticity for specific
languages rather than in general terms.  It is  not plausible
that Quine could not see that Carnap's semantics could
easily be reorganised to meet his objection, but he made it
anyway as if  it were substantive, and it is something which
Carnap should have done all  along.
I have only just carefully read through that short section
(just a  couple of pages 900-901), and it is not above
criticism,

----

Good!

Yes, the idea of analytic-in-L is very clever. I wonder if you are familiar
 with the work of R. M. Martin. I'm NOT, but I've seen some of his stuff.
You  often express the view that positivism was sort of not so well
considered after  this or that, but there ALWAYS was a strong semantic tradition, as
Coffa would  call it (He is or was an Argentine philosopher!) and Martin
seems to be in the  best of it. He would often cite Carnap, I can google.

I wouldn't know if Grice would share that 'analytic' is 'analytic-in-L'.
But as I was browsing some blogs recently. There's one language-log, and they
 were saying, "Grice has the same right to talk about language as Chomsky
has to  talk about ontology!". I commented, but I'm not getting feeds on all
the things!  I can now say: But isn't Ontology ALL that Chomsky ever speaks?

Grice is particular here. I was recently studying his use of "berth", deep
berths of language. Something like the seas of language of you know who
(Kripke). But Grice wants to say -- the quotes from archival material as cited
 by Chapman -- that SYNTAX is deeper than Chomsky wants us to think it is.
Bayne  will agree. So, the analytic-thing may be a matter of the syntax of
the lingo.  And since Grice only spoke English (the same language log says,
"I'm sure Grice  quote for fewer lingos than Chomsky) was it true-in-English
for Grice is  true-in-any-language-you-care-to-think-about. And I agree!