[hist-analytic] Carnap and Grice on "psychology" ('assertion' and 'belief')

Jlsperanza at aol.com Jlsperanza at aol.com
Fri Mar 12 13:46:50 EST 2010

In a message dated 3/8/2010 7:13:26  rbj at rbjones.com  writes:

"Feigl which is about
physicalism and the foundations of  psychology, but Carnap's
response, in which he mostly agrees with Feigl, he  omits the
mention of psychology, and it looks like he just addressed
general questions about physicalism without specific
reference to  psychology." ...
Well I think philosophers should dig into other disciplines,
to  whatever depth suits them.  Of course there is a risk of
getting egg al  over your face.  And of being ignored."

-----

I don't know! So perhaps we could examine Carnap on one specific
psychological concept, such as 'belief' -- he did work on 'subjective  probability',
right? And that would involve measure of belief, assent, or what  have you.
Never mind being ignored by a psychologist. I have no ignorance  complex!

--

Consider

Prob. 1
Prob  0
Prob < .5
Prob > .5

I have loads of material on this by Griceans -- notably Peacocke and Pears.
 The idea that: