[hist-analytic] Bob Logic, the Oxonian

Jlsperanza at aol.com Jlsperanza at aol.com
Wed May 26 11:20:53 EDT 2010

I came across this reference by Pierce Egan on "Bob Logic, the Oxonian",
which I thought was amusing enough to share with this forum. It sort of
raises  the point about how well settled in Oxford was this idea that will give
Grice  and his emphasis on 'conversational implicature' I hope. For I hope
you agree  that these three tracts will be all about the analysis of the
ordinary fallacies  in ordinary language (philosophy)!

----

Egan, Pierce (1821). Life in London, or, the day and night scenes of Jerry
Hawthorn, Esq., and his elegant friend Corinthian Tom, accompanied by Bob
Logic,  the Oxonian, in their rambles and sprees through the metropolis.
London:  Sherwood, Neely and Jones.
_____ (1847). Tom and Jerry, or, the day and  night scenes of Jerry
Hawthorne, Esq., and Corinthian Tom, accompanied by Bob  Logic, the Oxonian, in
their rambles and sprees through the metropolis. London:  John Dicks.
_____ (1848). The finish to the adventures of Tom, Jerry, and  Logic, in
their pursuits through life in and out of London. London: Reeves and  Turner.