[hist-analytic] Update

Baynesr at comcast.net Baynesr at comcast.net
Wed May 26 11:51:54 EDT 2010

Sorry for not posting more, particularly following Speranza's very
encouraging words in an earlier posting. Here is a brief update.

Within a few days I will receive a hard copy sample of the book.
If I approve it will be available very shortly thereafter.

I haven't posted because if I so much as breath philosophical
air I will, most likely, abandoned a current project only
tangentially related. I need to get a hold on some of the
formal ideas related to J. M. Buchanan's and Kenneth Arrow's
work in economics. When I'm doing arithmetic it is difficult
to suppress philosophical associations. One example.

I'm going through a delightful little book on the nature of a
limit by Norman Miller. My view on Rawls is shaped by
my belief that reciprocity is at the heart of a valid theory
of social justice. So I'm thinking of various ways of
describing the "logic" of reciprocity. I find two diverging
notions. At one point, I'm looking at the notion of a
harmonic series. The simplest harmonic series is
mentioned.

1 + 1/2 + 1/3 + 1/4 +...

T here are variations such as taking the square roots of
the denominators; or squaring them etc. But in my struggle
to understand the mathematics of harmony it occurs to
me that my idea of 'justice' has at its basis *some* notion
of social harmony. So I'm thinking that since harmony
and reciprocity have this link, maybe it should be explored
at a different level: economics, social justice etc. It then
occurs to me that my work in philosophy of mind was
closer than I originally thought to some of the views of
Pribram and Bohm. Here harmonics are important,
particularly Fourier analysis.

Not understanding fourier series very well I set it aside.
I then go to Fourier himself, Harmonian Man - his
utopia. I have read this years ago and dismissed it
as crack pot pythagorianism etc.: numerology. I look
closer. it now appears that ANY theory of social
justice which is a sound alternative to Rawls (as long
as you are contractarian, for sure) is going to
incorporate elements of Fourier. Anyway, for a couple
more months I'm going to be doing arithmetic. I will
be posting more. I'm getting a wee bit side tracked by
a work by Jerome Keisler, which is an online text:

http://www.math.wisc.edu/~keisler/calc.html

I've worked through other texts but this thing is
simply fascinating. There is some "big stuff" here
based on Abraham Robinson's work. I'll keep you
posted on this and my theory of "justice as reciprocity"
and "reciprocity" as a "condition of harmony." Things
are taking shape, finally. I thought Rousseau was the
great French political genius! I may emend my view
and put Fourier at the top. Both great men.