[hist-analytic] Kripke and the history of philosophy

Jlsperanza at aol.com Jlsperanza at aol.com
Tue Jun 1 11:57:36 EDT 2010

In a message dated 6/1/2010 10:00:33 A.M., Baynesr at comcast.net  writes:
In the book, the objection to Kripke is largely a matter of his
equivocation in explaining what Wittgenstein and others were saying.

----
Oddly, the other day I was revising some unpublished work by Patton  (of
"Rudiments of meaning" fame, among many other brilliant pieces -- this work
in collaboration with Stampe) and he has some lengthy bit about Kripke sort
of  misunderstanding Grice, too --. Kripke's example, in his famous
"Reference"  paper being:

One Thief to the Other: The cops are around the  corner.

Kripke claims the implicature (but did not use, THEN, that word)  being,
"Let's split as we finish right now gathering booty".

Patton  argued in that paper (he later became unconvinced about the
strength of his  point) that Kripke's point overlooks a segment in Grice's
"Meaning" (1948) to  the effect that only SOME effects are relevant for the
specification of what is  meant -- 'perlocutionary effects' not being those --.

Anyway, this as evidence that what Kripke says about the history of
philosphy IS usually controversial, especially the closest to home. (We wouldn't
care if his interpretation of St. Bonaventura is wrong, say -- perhaps).

JLS