[hist-analytic] Elizabeth Anscombe's Intention (New "Look Inside" feature)

Baynesr at comcast.net Baynesr at comcast.net
Wed Jun 16 12:27:01 EDT 2010

Amazon has introduced the "Look Inside" feature of my book
_Elizabeth Anscombe's Intention_. If you're interested the URL
is

http://www.amazon.com/Elizabeth-Anscombes-Intention-Steven-Bayne/dp/1439266352/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1276704304&sr=1-1

By the way, sorry for not getting back in a timely fashion to emails etc.
One thing on my mind as I do some math needed for economics is
the idea of a Limit in calculus. You can simply substitute 'a' for 'x'
in Lim f(x) when f(a) is defined;
x->a

That is,

Lim f(x) = fa
x -> a

But it is defined when x goes to a, where *a* is never reached.
So the limit may be defined even when 'a' doesn't exist (as what
x goes to), or so it seems.

My concern here is that quantification, e.g. UG, may be possible
where a does not exist. Not sure, just a passing thought. More later
unless I find out how stupid the question is. We've got about four
real live mathematicians on the list. Maybe they can set me straight.